Learn the basics of wool handling, identifying the different grades and types of wool in order to provide the best quality clip for the farmer. For a shearer it’s good to know the basics of wool handling to understand what needs to be done in this role.
Wool handlers are involved in:
- Preparing the wool clip by collecting and sorting wool from the shed floor as it’s shorn from a sheep
- Keeping the board (shed floor) safe and clean for all workers in the shed
- Working quickly, safely, and competently for long periods of time
- Working as a key part of a shed team, understanding roles and responsibilities and communication within the team.
Our WOMOlife wool handling course will teach you:
- How to use wool handling gear
- About different types of cut outs
- How to wool handle for crutching
- How to have good timing and technique (especially important in crutching as this is done quickly)
- How to separate the wool for LCC – length, colour and contamination
- An overview of board duties
You’ll need to watch these videos in order.